Apr 15, 2018 | Lee Becknell
Combating the Spirits of Cutting and Suicide
* Each year one in five females and one in seven males engage in some form of self-injury. A high percent of those who engaged in self-injury have themselves experienced some form of sexual abuse.
* Each year in America, there are two billion cases of self-injury reported!
* When life seemed hopeless for a man dwelling among the tombs and possessed with demons, Jesus brought deliverance. There is nothing too great or too small for the Lord. He is more than able to meet any need we have.
* This morning, I would like to share with you the following lessons.
- Altering the image of God.
Mark 5:3-5, “This man lived in the tombs, and no one could bind him anymore, not even with a chain. 4 For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No one was strong enough to subdue him. 5Night and day among the tombs and in the hills he would cry out and cut himself with stones.
* Our world is filled with those who are in pain. They long for a means to escape their desperation. Jesus is the way! Do you desire to meet the Lord?
* Jesus came to where the demonic man was. Jesus knew his condition and where to find him. It wasn’t coincidence or luck; it was by divine appointment!
* Rebellion, substance abuse, anger, guilt and resentment changes the person you really are.
Genesis 1:27, “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.”
* Beloved, male and female are created in God’s image. We are the only creation that can claim this special gift.
* This means our image is copied from God’s imagine. We can procreate and have children that have an eternal soul and spirit. Angels cannot do this.
* Men become drunks and do things they thought they would never do such as abuse their children or batter their wives.
* Satan loves to keep men, women, boys and girls dulled in pain so they cannot feel the joy and peace that comes with having a relationship with God.
* Women who battle addictions neglect their children, leave their families and lose their maternal instincts.
* People struggling with cutting and suicide need support from caring, loving people. This can happen one on one or in a group.
* Beloved, notice that this man was isolated. No one could help him in fact no one wanted to go around him. They would go out of their way to avoid him.
* People who are isolated need our love and concern.
* They need a friend or a group of friends to intervene in the situation. That is exactly with Jesus did.
* Above all, they need to be ministered to spiritually so they can receive a renewing of joy, peace and faith.
Mark 5:14-15, “Those tending the pigs ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, and the people went out to see what had happened. 15 When they came to Jesus, they saw the man who had been possessed by the legion of demons, sitting there, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid.”
* Beloved, I would love to have been there and heard the conversation that Jesus had with this man. For him to be sitting in peace and notice what it says, ‘…in his right mind;’
* Some of us could use a right mind.
* Can one person be all that important in God’s eyes? How about Abraham. He had one son when he was over a hundred years old.
* Today, there are more than 15 million Jews. Because of the Holocaust 6 million Jews died and with them went all the future children that would have been born.
* Should be 200 million Jews in the world.
* With every Suicide we loss thousands of people. Their future, their voices will never be heard because of the decision on one person. The human seeds from males and eggs from females are lost and all those people will never live.
* Each living person is connected to the past and the future.
- A wise person will not follow a failure.
Mark 5:18, “As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon-possessed begged to go with him.”
* We don’t know how long this man lived under the influence of these spirits but I imagine it was for some time. The passage gives us the idea that at first those that lived by tried to help. But it did not take long for them to give up and just avoid him and the area he had claim to live in.
* It has always been a mystery to me why some men and women would follow Satan. For some I believe they actually desire evil things just as I desire righteousness and holiness.
* They have cultivated an appetite for evil.
* The biggest reason for the mass of people that follow Satan and his worldly system is that he blinds their minds.
2 Corinthians 4:4,”The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.”
Acts 26:17-18, “I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them 18 to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’
* If you follow the prince of darkness don’t fool yourself into thinking you will have a different future than he does.
* In Scripture, we see that there are different Spirits; Spirits of Cutting, Suicide, addictions, deafness, dumbness and seizures.
* Mark 9: 17, “A man in the crowd answered, Teacher, I brought my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. 18Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and comes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit but they could not.
* The question why follow Satan is not a new one.
1Kings 18:20-21, 25-29, 37-39, “20So Ahab sent word throughout all Israel and assembled the prophets on Mount Carmel. 21Elijah went before the people and said, “How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal is God, follow him.” But the people said nothing. 25Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, “Choose one of the bulls and prepare it first, since there are so many of you. Call on the name of your god, but do not light the fire.” 26So they took the bull given them and prepared it. Then they called on the name of Baal from morning till noon. “Baal, answer us!” they shouted. But there was no response; no one answered. And they danced around the altar they had made. 27At noon Elijah began to taunt them. “Shout louder!” he said. “Surely he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought, or busy, or traveling. Maybe he is sleeping and must be awakened.” 28So they shouted louder and slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom, until their blood flowed. 29Midday passed, and they continued their frantic prophesying until the time for the evening sacrifice. But there was no response, no one answered, no one paid attention. 37Answer me, Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, Lord, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again.” 38Then the fire of the Lord fell and burned up the sacrifice, the wood, the stones and the soil, and also licked up the water in the trench. 39When all the people saw this, they fell prostrate and cried, “The Lord—he is God! The Lord—he is God!”
* Young people often turn to cutting because they think no one is listening to them. The false prophets of Baal had the same philosophy.
* Beloved, God is always listening even when you think not.
- Your Testimony is a weapon of war.
Mark 5:19-20, “Jesus did not let him, but said, “Go home to your own people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you, and how he has had mercy on you.” 20So the man went away and began to tell in the Decapolis how much Jesus had done for him. And all the people were amazed.”
* Beloved, let me share a truth with you. Thousands of individuals have been redeemed from cutting, suicide and substance abuse from simple hearing a testimony!
* A testimony of how Jesus delivered someone from similar bondages.
* It opens up the mind to spiritual warfare and frees the tormented.
Eph. 6:11-17, “Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
Revelation 12:11, (Speaking about Satan) “They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death.
* Jesus brings back peace and a right mind. Verse 20! This man doesn’t forget Jesus.
* Remember our key verse. Romans 12:21 “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”
“Usually coming to your wit’s end is the results of multiple attacks or combined circumstances striking simultaneously. We begin to lose confidence in the promises of God. The loss of one’s faith is a serious spiritual issue and Satan loves it when we begin to doubt God’s goodness."